Specialised Systems EngineerSystems EngineerICT&SS Professional
This programme focuses on laser scanning technology, data collection, processing and simple modelling with examples of land surveying applications. A combination of lectures and hands-on demonstrations of the hardware will be introduced in the programme. The software used for data processing and creating deliverables will also be covered.
At the end of this programme, you will be able to:
acquire a better understanding of laser scanning technologies
know what a point cloud is and how to manage it
handle a terrestrial laser scanner as well as a handheld scanner
understand how the scan data are processed by knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each different workflows
acquire possible ideas of how the scan data can be utilised to create "content-rich" deliverables
Who Should Attend
Please refer to the job roles section.
Land surveying professionals.
BIM technicians and managers.
Reality capture personnel.
Public Service Officers who require a fundamental knowledge of scanning technologies.
This programme is delivered face-to-face and will cover the following topics:
1. What is laser scanning? What are point clouds?
2. Comparing traditional data capture methods to scanning
3. Introduction to the hardware
• Terrestrial laser scanner (Static)
• Mobile Handheld
4. Hardware live demonstration
5. Software registration demonstration
6. Discussions of possible deliverables (with software demo)
• Dimensions extraction
• Floor plans and sections plans creation
• Volume Calculation, Contours Generation
• Feature extraction
• Digital Terrain Models / TIN Models (Triangulations)
• Comparison to design (Change Detection)
7. Creating 3D models from point cloud
• Fitting shapes to point cloud (Realworks)
• Introduction to SketchUp
This programme does not include the certification exam.