This course delivered by Civil Service College.
Data Science is the multi-disciplinary art of discovering insights from data to solve problems.
As a Singapore Public Officer, you may be keen to leverage data to carry out your work. Fortunately, technological advancements have brought about specialised tools and coding libraries that enable even non-technical professionals to perform complicated data analytics and visualisations. This is an opportune time for you to learn about some of these tools and harness your data to its full potential.
In this course, you will gain a fundamental understanding of various Data Science techniques by preparing and analysing multiple datasets using Python and performing actual data visualisation using Tableau. You will also improve your overall data literacy, and be guided through the entire Data Science process, from scoping a problem and data preparation to analysis and presentation of findings.
By the end of the programme, you will be able to:
- Explain the impact of solving problems with data
- Define a well-scoped problem statement, solvable through a Data Science approach
- Perform simple cleansing of structured data
- Identify where practitioners should be engaged for more complex work and collaborate effectively with them
- Communicate insights and discoveries to stakeholders through clear narratives and visualisations
Who Should Attend
- Please refer to the job roles section.
- Public Service Officers who are keen to adopt a data-driven approach to improving policy decisions and operations as well as to understand what is involved in starting a typical data science project.
You should have attended Data Analytics - Basic Principles and Applications (CRDDA10) on LEARN
, or are familiar with basic data analytics. You should also be comfortable with doing programming tasks during the workshop.
As part of the mandatory pre-programme work for this programme, you will need to complete the following 5 Data Literacy e-Primers on LEARN
1. Data Literacy ePrimer (Module 1) – Data is a Team Sport
2. Data Literacy ePrimer (Module 2) – Data, data, data
3. Data Literacy ePrimer (Module 3) – Once upon a Chart
4. Data Literacy ePrimer (Module 4) – I Learn, Therefore I am
5. Data Literacy ePrimer (Module 5) – I Came, I Saw, I Divide-And-Conquered
- What is Data Science?
- How Data Science and analytics are used worldwide and within the Singapore Public Service
- Lifecycle of a Data Science project
- Various types of analytics and machine learning applications
- Problem scoping methodology and guide
- Basic Python scripting and a helper library for data preparation and simple analysis
- Using Tableau for Data Visualisation
- Hands-on work on a Data Science project with simulated datasets
Full course fee
8% GST on nett course fee
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST
How To Register
To find out more about the upcoming run dates and registration, please click here